Tuesday, December 30, 2008

the post christmas.


It's the post christmas season. The great in between days where we all soak in the merriment, clean up the yule, and savor the last bits of breakage. In my case I got the sniffliest of sniffle colds and have been spending the past few days draining my nose and missing PG. He's in Switzerland with his papa enjoying an epic father son adventure. I got a call from him yesterday (!!!!) and it sounds like they are having an awesome time skiing the matterhorn. There's no internet so sadly I get no Phil e-letters this trip (they are treasures) but the call was worth a million bucks. 

Speaking of a million bucks...I need a job. NOW. I'm not returning to el Tejas for grad school for many reasons (yes one of them is matrimony...I didn't think I'd find my hubby mid-grad school... and Phil would have waited for the sky to fall and me to finish but that wasn't the right choice for us. We both had strong feelings that now is the time and we couldn't ignore that, nor did we want to.  As for school there were things I loved...ie my voice teacher, the progress I was making vocally, the performance opportunities...and there were other feelings which motivated a change... do I really want this career with the time the hours the stress the travel? I love to sing but that will always be with me whether it be professionally or personally...the I feel like I just did this all for four years already feelingish feeling... and so on.) annnd so after much prayer deliberation consideration meditation and sweet support from PG towards either conclusion, I'm staying in the lovely land of California for the semester to save money and prepare myself for a life with my sweetheart. Change can be a scary thing BUT if it's the right thing it can be incredibly liberating. You have to find the right path for YOU. For anything I've given up I feel like I've gained the world and my heart's true wants and dreams. Peaceful. I get to spend precious time with my family and miss PG every minute (don't worry there are visits in the works. starting with jan 5-12!) until we tie the knot. And now I need to be employed. BADLY. The real world is expensive I hear. I need to get with it. Car payments, health payments, bills, oh my!

As for the wedding planning. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! It's going to be fun it's going to be magical and it's also going to be a lot of work. Luckily I have a lot of mommas and sisters in this town to help and Phil told me he's already practiced saying "yes I agree!" "that looks beautiful" "they're both my favorite!" He's a keeper.

My post christmas is turning out to be a busy one but a fantabulous one all the same! Here's to new adventures in the New year!

5 comments:

Nortorious said...

Ya know Jim tried to talk him into getting married before the trip, and then tagging along on your honeymoon.
Jim was most excited, I think.

Olivia said...

I am so happy that you feel settled in your life. That is something we all search for and few actually find. So I'm definitely happy for you and I CAN'T WAIT TO COME TO CALIFORNIA. WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Also, I'm going to be ridiculously skinny at that time. If you need opinions on any cake for your wedding, you know who to call.

Nisha Asnani said...

ummmmmmm

1. i admire you tremendously - especially in taking a step back from professional singing/education - it can be a very scary decision to pull away from such a magnetic and consuming world. this is the best advice i ever got on that: don't worry, it's not going anywhere. and there will always be opportunities when you are open to them.

the time you take to live your life will only ever enrich your professional choices (unless of course living your life translates to 22 hours/day of halo)

2. i feel ya on the job thing. good luck and God bless!

3. i second olivia's comment on the cake thing. or on anything else - i'm here if you need ANYTHING

4. i CANNOT WAIT to come to san fran - seriously. baller.

5. happy new year dahhhhhhhhhling

Dani and Paul said...

That is very exciting. I was wondering what you would do about school. Good luck finding a job. I always hated doing the job hunt, but hopefully you will find something soon. Planning a wedding can be stressful, but very fun. I can't wait to hear about the plans. I know that your wedding will be amazing and so much fun. Good luck with the job, planning, and saving.

Katie said...

You know, you could work for your mom...that would be tremendously enjoyable for me...just a thought.