Monday, December 8, 2008

"always a sheep never a shepherd"

Isn't this the most lovely thing you've ever seen?
Feel free to  pick out your own "thats me!" heavenly host person. I myself like to dream about singing from the heavens when Jesus was born.

for some heart warming watch here or read here.

For Some Christma-kvetching...read on.

In my sunday school days the Christmas Show was a seriously BIG DEAL. Every kid got a part and a costume.  We were all giggles, name calling, and menacing until we were peeled from our goof-off-itude and herded to the stage to take part in a musical magical depiction of the nativity. 

The sheep were played by toddlers and baby crawlers alike. The shepherds were usually boys, maybe with a girl or two thrown into the bath robed bunch. Angels were the cute little six or seven year olds in sparkly dresses. The coveted Three Kings roles (coveted because they got jewels and crowns) went most likely to three undeserving delinquents who for the rest of the year drew cartoons of their classmates and talked during lessons (Phil were you a three-kinger?) The donkey was played traditionally by two more tweedle dees; one the donkeys head and the other the donkeys name sake. You can see these young men left a lasting impression of obedience and maturity in my memory... and it's ok most of them have sort of grown out of it maybe....The baby Jesus was played by a plastic doll (most real babies aren't as well behaved as baby Jesus). Mary and Joseph were always darn'd cute kids who didn't "like like" each other... "they swear." 

Well I LOVED loved loved the Christmas show. I sang the little drummer boy once (I guess that would be my first pants-role opera friends) and I was also an angel... I don't recall my other roles but I will tell you one thing... I. WAS. NEVER. MARY.

Not that I'm bitter or anything (bitter bitter bitter!) I just dreamed of being Mary possibly with some slightly older wardie hunk as Joseph to protect me from all of the "no room in the inn" business. (who did I think was hunkish? I don't even remember...) I wanted the blue head dress, I wanted to hold the baby, I wanted to be the ingenue... really has much changed? To add to the desire my own parents got to dress up as Mary and Joseph for all the church kiddies when my mom was pregnant with me (and yes I was born on Christmas. I know. So cool)... So why wouldn't I, a Christmababy myself, make the cut?

Well it's taken me years to grasp why I didn't land the Mary spot...
drum roll please. I left my little drummer boy drum at home...

Twas because...I had an OFFENSIVELY awkward awkward stage.

When you think Mary you think lovely, serene, FERTILE. I was scrawny pre-pubescent, over-bitten, and freckle faced...

Well... I've come to terms in some ways...and grown into myself at least a little bit. I actually played a Mary of sorts last year in my friend's play at CMU. I guess I can say I've at least partially lived the dream and come a sort of full circle. Still my TRUE dream lives on...front and center on that little stage overlooking all of my fans on the basketball court eating costco lasagna...a girl. can. dream.

6 comments:

Randi said...

I'm sorry I over-comment on your blog but I have so much to say. First thing, feel good about yourself because we went head to head to sing the drummer boy and you won. Look where that bit of encouragement took your singing career and look where I am. Sad day for me. I can't believe you were never Mary! That's weird.. Now more importantly, the kids aren't doing the program this year for the Christmas party! I don't know why but it is making me sad. On an unrelated note I LOVE that painting, it was on display at BYU last year and Chad bought me a print for Christmas last year. This year I actually got to have it framed and it will be ready this week for all your (jealous) viewing pleasure! You'll like it more in person too.

Olivia said...

My blog is jealous of how cool your blog is.
My mom writes the christmas show for our church and I was never allowed to be Mary because she thought it would be "playing favorites". GAY. I was the tap dancing donkey and the angel Gabriel. neat.
NOT.

Anonymous said...

weren't you something cool when cccc did that huge christmas piece? what was it called? the cantata? that 60-page nonsense thing. i was a shepherd, if i remember correctly. actually, mostly what i remember was being forced to rehearse it in the middle of the night for a couple of hours during music camp. that was not awesome.

Camille said...

i can totally relate. i always got the stupid angel cause i am blonde. angel angel angel. the angel is a bit part. she is on for like one scene!

Nisha Asnani said...

I think you would make a great mary. and a naughty angel... And who said you have to wait for someone to ask you to be in a silly little thing like a show to dress up? like that has EVER stopped us before.

This year, I say you find some old blue bed sheets, make phil grow out that facial hair he's always been dying to try (i assume, phil, because clean shaven men have always expressed that curiosity to me in this form "hey, what would you think if i grew out a stache?" ), steal a new born cousin and go do some holiday heart-warming.

all my love.

miss aubrey said...

randi. you will always be my little drummer boy.

olivia. I want to see your donkey dance I would gladly be a hoofed animal with thee for the sake of christmas.

linds. the christmas cantata! that was literal christmas torture! I was part of a dumb star:)

camille. We've been ripped off! no more bit parts lets take a nativity show on the road! bahahah angel angel angel.

nish. soooooo ironic bc the stache has come up as of late! why??? why do they want to try a stache? so gross I can't even handle it. I said ummmmm... how about no? staches are for policemen dad-figures and creeps.