
(this post is dedicated to Olivia Joan (as in the arc) Mayer Custodio, James Mayagoitia, and the rest of the CMU voice class of 2008.)
I've watched some deep movies, seen some abstract art, read a thick book or two... but not many things perplex and fascinate me as much as David Bowie in riding chaps donning a lioness-worthy hair-do and eyeliner. In college my friends and I learned all the words to Dance Magic Dance of Labyrinth fame. I'm still not really sure why we did it... but the song now holds a special place in my heart.
The Labyrinth (If I was a linguistics specialist I would write a whole chapter about what kind of imbecile decided to make the word Labyrinth instead of "laberinth"... trips me up every time) was released in 1986. The year 1986 also gave birth to the song rock me amadeus, Paul Simon's Graceland, the nuclear disaster at Chernobyl, Ferris Bueller's day off, Stephen King's "it", the Challenger explosion, the Cosby Show topping TV charts... and the birth of the Phil....banner year?
I'm not sure what the Labyrinth says about 1986 or what 1986 would say about the Labyrinth (it might reject it like a mother bear would a sickly cub) but one thing's for sure...it's the darn'd weirdest movie of all time (David Bowie is magic, steals this girl's baby brother, takes him into a maze, throws him around with some gremlins then meets girl-trying-to-save-baby-brother and dances romantically with her at a ball... is no one concerned with the grand age difference?! somehow they get back home...I don't even know...)
Dance Magic Dance has GOT to be the highlight of the strange-ocity. It leaves me with a lot of questions:
1. why the hair? why?! is it real? is it a weave?
2. why the riding pants boots and whip?
3. why the angsty opening bowie-on-throne tableau?
4. why the line "slap that baby make him free?" someone call the child abuse hotline.
5. why is bowie's face so spooky? drugs?
6. why does the bowie have such slender and feminine legs?
7. how did they make the baby cry on the movie set? (this always bothers me. do movie people scare babies to tears for movie purposes?)
8. are the bowie's prancing moves choreographed or freestyle?
9. why the random chicken amidst all of the creepy puppets?
10. why is the song SO STINKIN CATCHY?!
David Bowie I love you. You are my favorite circus sideshow... right after Tyra.
3 comments:
1986 was the year of this babe being born and I think you should know that David Bowie is my real father. It's so fucking weird and to be honest the whole movie really scares me. I'm really shocked that Jennifer Connelly still has a career after this glorious display.
ANYWAY, you remind me of the babe.
David Bowie...now that is a mind I never want to understand...because if I do I know I will have officially gone off the deep end...
Aubrey you've educated me in this entry...I must say I have never heard of this song or movie and am extremely perplexed and strangely fascinated by what I have read and seen here today....woah.
this movie used to scare the crap out of me.
i was also born in 1986!!!
Post a Comment