Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Trot trot to Austin?







Back in Houston with no power, BUT miraculously Lyndsey's house is one of the few and the proud that is lit, cool, and running as if nothing happened.  I'm staying here in her apt and I guess that puts me at sort of secondary jr. refugee status.  I went back to campus for a bit today and the grove outside of the music school looks like it was attacked by hungry vegetation seeking giants.  The trees have been just ripped out of the ground roots and all.

I wanted to update a little on the wonder-filled adventures I had in Austin.  As you may know Lyndsey invited me to escape with her for the weekend to visit her sister Heather.  I seriously couldn't have asked for a better weekend...ok...maybe if it didn't end with returning to powerless messy Houstonia to face rehearsal and class.... nevertheless it was a great time.

Highlights included:

a shopping (it ended up being buy phil a random present and nothing for myself...whats wrong with me??) day along one of Austin's main drags.  We went in all of these funky stores with world home accessories and vintage books and dolls and Austin-made products. Heather informed us that Austin's theme is "keep austin wierd" and it was. and I LOVED IT.  We went into a costume shop that gave me temporary ADD, we saw a cupcake stand with a huge plastic cupcake on top of it, we heard about Austin's huge population of urban bats.  We ended our stroll with a trip to a great little veggie thai resturaunt...with kind of abrupt old lady waitress and a very spicy plate of tofu kung pow with noodles that made me cry but I couldn't stop eating it. 

Going to hill country to hang out with Heather's boyfriend Karl at his Aunt and Uncle's house.  They are amazing potters and they were having a show/sale.  They built their house together and it was just gorgeous with a wrap around walk, stone walls, vines, lots of wood framed windows and spanish terra cotta tiles. Lyndsey and I were exhausted for no good reason but got our spirits back over an amazing barbeque dinner at the house with home made (I MUST learn how to make them yum) tortillas, corn off the grill, avocado salad, and chicken.
Stopping by this incredible vegan bakery where I had a "love cupcake" that was chocolatey carmelly goodness with the word love written in blue on the top.  I think that cupcake stole my heart....AND I also had the best peanut buttercup bomb in the world...if you love peanut butter cups it is worth a pilgrimage.
      Toy Joy home of the vegan bakery of goodness

It was such a lot of fun getting to know each other better. Sharing mint chip ice cream, sitting in the sun, driving all around Texas, being study buddies, and sharing refugee status.
   me, Heather, and Lyndsey
    Did I mention we met some purse dogs?

No comments: