Monday, September 1, 2008

BOO! NO HURRICANE...


ok so some of you may have heard me play the damsel in distress over Hurricane Gustav...

"oh no! I may have to evacuate the city!"
"I must run to the gas station to fill up my car incase I need to flee!"
"I hope I have enough water in the house to survive the disaster!"

well it's not coming it seems...how anti climactic. 

Phil gently suggested that maybe I wanted it to come to Houston and maybe I was even a little tiny bit disappointed that I wasn't staring disaster in the face, that maybe I would be somewhat how can i put this... excited to be able to say I survived a hurricane.... what is he talking about??...

ok so OF COURSE he's right.  

When I was little if there was a rain storm Courtney and I would gather all of our stuffed animals and dolls and urgently rush them to my bed which was 
obviously a life raft.  Then we would wait out the storm lamenting about how much danger we had been through and occasionally rescue a bear or american girl doll from the depths of the flood (carpet). 

I am hugely thankful that I am NOT driving my rear to Dallas right now, I 'm relieved that my water is not cut off, that my car is not turned over three blocks away... but what is it about disaster and controversy that makes me swoon just a little? 

Ok... maybe I take it back... stay where you are Gustav.

No comments: