
So of course I talk the big talk about Hurricane Gustav and after it never touches Houston...Life thinks its funny to give me a big slap in the face called Hurricane Ike. I didn't think anything of it after the big anti-climax that was Gusty...that is until thursday at school when I started to hear that people were getting the heck out of dodge. I thought in this situation it was probably a good idea to follow the crowd and in the spirit of "be prepared" I chose to hit the road...
I had no food storage...I get it now...people were apparently rushing to the grocery store which was running out of water and bread. Gas stations were running out of gas, there were lines of cars at each and every one. It was crazy and electric and exciting.
The whole time I had a complete feeling of safety, somebody told me I couldn't die... My only big concern being if I stayed, my cell phone would be the one to go...funny that was one of the main motivators for leaving.
Any how, Lyndsey sweetly invited me to come with her to be refugees in Austin. I seriously feel so lucky to have found such an awesome friend so fast. Austin was the BEST IDEA EVER. We've had such a girl party, all with air conditioning, clean water, and food. Details and pictures to come!
We were going to be heading back today, but apparently there isn't enough water pressure at school and the water is possibly poopy...literally...like don't take a shower and get pink eye poopy...so gross, so funny, so AWESOME b/c come on every one still loves the idea of school being cancelled. I hope someone gets pink eye...I love announcing to everyone to stay away from the hexed individual.
Basically we're hanging out here in lala land racking up phone bills and enjoying the most gorgeous sunny day in the world.
We've also been watching the updates on the computer and to make us feel all the more lucky its looking like parts of greater Houston got a fairly savage beating. Shout outs to all in Galveston and So. Houston who stayed or left their houses to weather the blow, we up here hope all is well! The parts of the county that weren't flooded and badly damaged are with out power and according to Lyndsey's landlord are now wet and hot with debris scattered along the streets...Im imagining the wide array of yummy meats and cheeses that are now rotting in my fridge...
Ok. sweet moment... I really really appreciate all of the love and concern people have shown me while this all has been going on in the H-town. It's been so nice to hear from people both in Houston and away, family and loved ones.
I feel so lucky to have so many people who care to know if I am tethered to a palm tree some where (some of us...might think of this as a blogworthy blessing...ok I'm bad and don't want to jinx myself I take it back). But back to what I was saying, its just great to have such a community of support and love around me. All the fb messages and texts and calls were such a ray of sunshine.
It was also so amazing to see how far reaching the church community is, all of the check up emails and warnings and calls, and all of the inquiries from Danville... I feel so lucky to be raised in a group of people who feel the blessed responsibility of caring and keeping each other safe from the physical and spiritual storms of life.
more on our Austin Adventures to follow...
3 comments:
Agreed- glad you are OK, but there is NOTHING worse than the Poop Eye. I keep drops on hand.
remember when i had pink eye this year at school?? did you laugh at me?????????????????? Lame. Glad you're ok. YAY
I'm glad you are alive and safe!
i think a poopshower would be worse than poop eye.
Post a Comment