Between tonight and Hurricane Ike I'm starting to feel like the end of the world is expressly following me around...Narcissistic? ok...YES. True? Quite possible.
Why Aubrey? Why?! What happened tonight??!! (That's your part. If you feel like putting your acting hat on you can say it out loud for fun.)
Well friends romans and countrymen...tonight I MISS Aubrey Alise O'Connor was in a FLASH FLOOD. Thats right folks. A flipping flash flood.
Let's start at the very beginning, a very good place to start.
Tonight was my off night (and the last dress rehearsal) so I was singing chorus in Orpheus as Flora, Goddess of Flowers (aka I wear a big hot pink toga, awesome drag queen-esque makeup, and a flower child wreath). It was your usual night, the show went swimmingly and then it was time for notes. For those of you who haven't been in a show notes are akin to going to the dentist to get teeth pulled. Why Aubrey why is it akin to teeth pulling? (That's you again, thanks for participating.) Well class that's because after giving every drop of your life force to make a show entertaining it is DRAINING to sit and listen to things like "please do your five second quick change in four seconds." ok ok so I LOVE it....even the obnoxiousness of notes...
Anyhow where was I? You were telling us about the flash flood! (you again bloggerazzi) OH YES! the flash flood.
So whilst getting our notes we started to see lightning through the lobby windows. No big deal, it's the south right? That's what I thought. Well, I went back to change out of my get up and then skipped along to the exit.
I swung the door open and saw...WATERWORLD. I have never seen rain quite like it. This girl was just standing under the overhang next to me with her mouth wide open.
Luckily I ran into a friend who had an itty bitty magenta umbrella and we ran to my car as fast as we could.... Of course I couldn't find my car at first (please refer to previously mentioned losing experiences) and by the time we got there my pants were drenched and my shoes were BUCKETS. I drove him to his car and thought to myself that the worst was over.
Now after all of these weather wonders, I thought for some genius reason that it would be a perfect night to drive home through the ghetto. (There are two routes to get to and from my school. One is the freeway. The other is the Dirty of the Dirty South. I have seen people on that road who look like they came straight from Reno 911. We can call it "little watts" for tonight's purposes.)
SO I'm driving through little watts and I'm starting to notice more and more water around my car. First just an inch then two then three and soon its splashing around me. I was Dorothy and I was no longer in Kansas my friends.
I began to see cars giving out on the road and so I followed some far wiser person onto higher ground. (Totally begs for church talk analogy status. YES!) I then proceeded to sit in this grassy lot with many other stranded car friends for an hour (hour and a half? Time stood still. I don't know.) as I watched the Nile river pass by. It was at least knee deep. Also...I WAS STARVING, like mouth watering at the thought of food. Thankfully I had my cell phone and was entertained by many callers. Lynds called to check up on me and said that the waves had come down the street at her all at once out of nowhere like a stampede of horses or something.

Finally as the water started to subside just a bit I took a leap of faith and drove my car into a not so little puddle that stood between me and the road that was starting to clear up. I MADE IT! hooray! ...and drove home so thankfully.

The wise man built his house upon the rock...but I'm starting to think that rock was nowhere near Houston.
3 comments:
I'm glad that you survived. And I'm glad that you use so many song references in your posts. I sing my way through them :) What program do you use to write on your photos?
aren't you the one who said you needed a blogworthy event?! haha. you brought this on yourself!
wow - you are the the perfect intercept for extraordinary events. if this whole singing thing doesn't work out - you should be an investigative news journalist.
or a storm chaser! you thrill junkie you.
also, i did say the prompts out loud - sigh it was almost like real conversation... maybe it's time for a phone convo...
also the word verification for today - "shickles" haha didn't you have that in high school? just kidding..
Post a Comment