Monday, September 20, 2010

this is my dream house.

 I mean... my headband matches the garden motif. Made for each other.

My dream house...
The historic Shuey-Podva house, right smack dab on Hartz Ave (Danville's main St.)

Every time I drive by the building I sigh. It is the most perfect shade of grey with delicate white trim and simple black lanterns guarding the entry. It has a sensibly sized front porch and a widow's walk on the rooftop. The bottom of the building is framed with old brick. I love thinking about the history of the house and the family that once filled its walls in simpler times... I WANT THAT HOUSE.

built in 1890ish. how cool is that?!

Has my hometown love gone too far? Is it crazy to want to live on main street and have a darling shop in the white farmhouse attached to this heart-breakingly beautiful grey victorian? 

(Am I delusional or hopeful? You can vote. Phil says delusional.)

If I can't have it, maybe we can build a replica someday? Then we could have a giant backyard on a quiet street. (Please tell me someone else spends this much time dreaming.)
Me and the dream.

As I come back down to earth I realize that I really just hope we can afford lots of children (like a litter) and the money to feed and clothe them. To me, truly, a home is where love is.  Home is a place where safety, faith, learning, peace, and a little dash of mayhem all reside.

When I think of "home" I'm reminded of one of my favorite songs; Bernstein's"Build My House"...

Will you build me a house 
a house that really will be mine 
then let me give you my design a simple scheme of the house i dream of 
Build my house of wood build my house of stone build my house of brick and mortar 
make the ceiling strong strong against the storm shelter when the days grow shorter 
but build my house of love and paint my house with trusting and warm it with the warmth of your heart 
make the floor of faith
make the walls of truth 
put a roof of peace above 
only build my house of love


when I see it I hear a choir of angels singing
"aaaaaaaaaaaahhh"


Tell me about your dream home.
What makes a house a home for you?

4 comments:

Terri OConnor said...

My dream house is the one I live in filled with a family and memories I LOVE.

Brynn Snyder said...

seriously beautiful! I would love that house too... maybe one day I will move out of an apartment and into a cute house

ashley said...

Aubrey! Next time you go to Disneyland, you MUST visit Old Town Orange. It's where my college is and the town is full of houses just like our Danville prize :) There is a historic society that makes sure people keep their houses as they were originally built and kept looking extremely cute! Really, I loved it and I know you would, too!

Anonymous said...

You're right: a real home is where the love is. I'd love to have a house with a spacious garden where my future children can play around. I'm planning to have a child or two. LOL!


Son Lakhani