Wednesday, September 15, 2010

workin' at the carwash and a super-tuesday.




Chapter I: Workin' at the Carwash

The other day I decided the multi-layer bird poop collage that was starting to dominate the hood of my car needed to go. Now usually I would scrub this off myself with a little dawn and some elbow grease but sometimes dirty can just reach a level that requires machinery.

I drove down to the drive through gas station wash, punched in my five digit code and drove in for "the works."  They make it sound like so much for under 10 bucks.

As the familiar sound of grinding metal, shooting suds, and man-made rain filled the small garage, I was struck by this thought...

This is still AWESOME.

When I was little the car wash (along with going to the party supply store, eating a rare happy meal, wearing nail polish, having a friend over for playtime, and being one of the few preschoolers with pierced ears) was not just fun, it was MAGNIFICENT, magical, and a real treat.

I mused to myself about my "grown up perks" like how many cookies I can eat now without asking (perhaps not in my best interest, but sooo good), how I can play with friends whenever I choose, how I stay up way past my bedtime on a fairly regular basis... I even drive a car! (Actually, when I was little I used to have nightmares about being in the drivers seat of my mom's van as it rolled through town at alarming speeds, but that's another story.) Being a grownup is fun, if you remember how precious all the little things are.  

The car wash is one of those things. 


Now they even have multi-colored soap, how cool is that?!

Chapter II: A Super-Tuesday

So, Why was my Tuesday so super, you ask? Because my wonderful mother-in-law gave us her two 4th row tickets to Dream Girls in S.F. (!!!!!!!)

I took the bart in and met Phil who awaited me with a big cheeseburger which I gracefully downed before we ran into the theater five minutes later. (This post is making me sound really unhealthy, other times I eat brown rice and put wheat germ in my cereal so don't judge people.)

The show was brilliant!  The entire production was just drenched in talent, with only one weak link in the cast. The lights, the music, and the voices all shined. OH the voices, let me tell you something. I was teary. It was such a feel good and lively performance. Also, all of the costumes were steeped in glitter...

 ...and you KNOW I dig the sparkle. 

There is so much worth in live performance, I challenge thee to go and watch something live this month. That is my challenge, take it or leave it.

Riding home on bart, I realized how far the husband has to sojourn every day, poor pilgrim that he is. That also made me quite thankful. He's a keeper.

Truly a super-tuesday!

No comments: