Tuesday, July 20, 2010

weekend warriors.



The babes: Pictures stolen from their momma, because in other news, my camera is broken.

 Yesterday I came home from work, took a much needed shower, put my hair in two thin braids, and essentially went into a half-coma. Why you might ask?

I had a busy weekend. 

Friday through Sunday Phil and I inherited 3 children ages 3, almost two, and just darn tiny (7 months?). They happen to be our very adorable nephews and niece, Mimi, Jude, and Silas (Silas "the Beloved" in my book). 

Their parents went to L.A. and we became very acquainted with the changing table.

All poops aside it was so much fun. I love the rhythm of bottles, diapers, and naps, not to mention the hilarity of Mimi-isms. 

Here are the highlights:

*After church Mimi gets out of bed, because she's hungry. We negotiate the food plea down to juice because she didn't eat her lunch. She is so excited for us to drink juice together on the couch.  She says "We can talk!" "About what?" I ask. "About church, let's sit on the couch and talk about Jesus!" I told her about miracles Jesus performed. She glanced up at my necklace and said, "Once somebody's necklace was broken and Jesus fixed it!" Maybe Mimi, maybe.

*Swimming with baby Silas in the pool. He laughed every time we would dip his legs in.

*It's nap time and everyone's asleep... or so we think. We hear a cat like scratching at the door, a whimper, and then a small gollum-ish satan voice (very guttural) groan: PPPHHHHIILLLL-LUUUUPPPPP. 
It was Princess Miranda
 and it was scary.

*Jude constantly framed his little counterpart Si for any poop smells. "Silas poopoos!"

*We all snuggled in bed after naps and gave Si tummy raspberries. 

I like practice parenting. As usual Phil was a natural with all of the kids. He is the perfect balance of fun and firm. He's a wonderful Uncle, that P.G. We had to help each other out quite a bit, and quickly. "Grab a burp rag, throw me that pacifier, hold him, put her shoes on." I think we make an alright team. 

It's Tuesday now and we're both still a little drowsy... off to sleep!

4 comments:

Terri OConnor said...

Love the Mimi-isms.

Nortorious said...

Best post ever! I was kind of worried you'd make it look to easy thus rendering me a whiner. I didn't, however, worry about my kids while I was gone, not one single bit. You are a wonderful auntie and I'm glad you're in my family!
Phhhillll-up. Have her do the abc's. It's haunting.

Nortorious said...

And most importantly, THANK YOU!!

miss aubrey said...

haha lenore we were so beat but it was a blast! My sentences are just returning to a level of coherency acceptable for conversation.

I can't wait for the dark-abc's