Tuesday, September 22, 2009

almost october.

Phil and (Ph)all last year


There are chubby orange pumpkins at the grocery store. They sit on hay bails by the sliding glass doors waiting for fingers to search through their pyramids to find the right one... just the right shape to become a cat, a witch, or a jack-o-lantern. When is the appropriate time to grab my own armful? 


The air feels even thinner here right now (hard to imagine) and crispier, like ginger ale. The tops of the mountains are blushing red with turning trees. The evenings are pure melted butter. It's GLORIOUS. 

I think fall is my favorite (at least at the moment). 

I've been cutting out little tiny paper bats. orange ones. purple ones. grey ones. I really need some black ones. I am dreaming of pumpkin smells and falling leaves. Crunchy crunchy delicious leaves. Where can I find a pile of leaves here in my little no backyard APT? 

Phil and I are brainstorming HALLOWEEN COSTUMES. Ideas appreciated. I am starting to really crave cheap candy.  We went on a walk this evening. This is something we like to do. It's free and makes me feel justified eating dessert. I had to put on a sweater which added to my excitement.

All of this to say it's almost October and I like it.

4 comments:

Terri OConnor said...

So jealous of the cool breeze you describe, you are making Utah sound nice....expected 97 here today! You know how much I love the heat. ARG Love and miss you both.
mom

Olivia said...

did you know that i'm going to have a fall wedding?? I'm glad it will be during your favorite season.

Halloween costumes:
King Kong and helpless lass
Cinderella and Prince Charming
Little Red Riding Hood and the Wolf
Prom queen and king
Sperm and Egg
Grimace and the Hamburgler

Natalie said...

I can't wait for fall to come here, I think it's my favorite too. At least until Christmas comes, and then I'll probably say winter...

Randi said...

The fall really is beautiful there. It's God's way pf buttering you up for the following 6 months. I can't wait to read your posts about that.

Halloween costumes are always so hard to pick! I'll keep my creative juices flowing- and not tell Chad or you'll end up being a s'more like us last year. It was not fun. You should throw a housewarming/halloween party!!