
Saturday
What to do on a yellow glowing afternoon in the great Utah Valley? That was PG and my question on this very Saturday. You see, we were getting cabin fever. BAD. In fact our temperatures were both hitting 100 degrees on the needtobreakfree scale by high noon mountain time.
There was only one problem. No ideas. Not a single shadow of an idea. That was until we remembered the internet (side story... in one of my lowest moments recently as a human being I asked Phil off-handedly... "how did people know how to get anywhere before mapquest?... cue lightbulb... Oh that's right. Maps!" I'm still paying for that with so much shame.) Anyway back to the world wide web; we googled (google is still magical to me) local provo events scrolled down to our desired day and what to our wondering eyes did appear but an exhibit.
Now for those of you reading who are unaware I love exhibits. ANY exhibit actually. I enjoy a good Egyptology or Natural History museum, and all things early American too but any space filled with learning and glass boxes and little explanations as to why said things are important enough to be in said boxes makes me just a special kind of joyful.
Well this exhibition was a tad different. It was a one day display on (wait for it) WOOD. Carved, widdled, polished, painted... a Wood Sculpture Show to be exact. We weren't sure what to expect but we did know it was 3 dollars a pop and right down the street at the Provo City Library so off we jaunted to the wood chip festival and let me tell you something people, we learned. We gleaned from those tables full of little wooden cowboys and perfectly shaped three dimensional delicate curving maple leaves a new appreciation for the very rustic art that is carving. There were intricate sketches burned into planks and ostrich eggs carved so meticulously as to look like a perfectly starched globes of lace. We also saw a small child selling knives with a long and impressive rat tail...so Americana was definitely reached in full. And did I mention we got in for free? GRAND.
We finished off our Saturday with friends and candy and Jason's deli (california clubon croissant you are ecstasy to my soul) and dollar movies that are slightly more than a dollar (sue for false advertisement?)... moral of the story? A very good day indeed.

Phil and a hand carved set of chess
Did I mention the Provo City Library also houses a small display of local artwork including this beauty? Who knew Hilary Duff was so enshrined in the local library? Phil was happy to find her.Below: me, a running horse mural and my favorite; the alpenhorns a la Ricola commercials.

4 comments:
Your blog is too CUTE! You write beautifully. Congratulations on getting married, I'm glad you're so happy!
aubrey you're just adorable in every way. and i just get so jealous when jennica tells me how much she gets to see you. i want to come by and see your apartment sometime!
Could I love you more? You are hilarious. I love the title. You will appreciate whittling all the more when you have a cub scout.
love this and love you! lord knows i should stay away from places that might convince me to collect things though
Post a Comment