Thursday, April 16, 2009

singing eating and family-ing




This is the first year in 4 years that I got to spend Easter at home with the familia. My first year away at school I spent Easter with my dear friendie and roommate Olivia searching for an open food joint...in the rain...while my family called me...so that I could hear all of my cousins having a good time. We huddled under a wimpy umbrella in the April showers freezing our booties off before giving up and returning to our little freshman dorm.  Apparently people who work in food services also have families and holiday traditions. We didn't know. We may have ordered pizza, we may have just starved... come to think of it we might have even gathered change for the vending machine. Tragedy. Remember liv? So soggy and hungry!

This easter weekend was just right.

I got to spend time with my little sisters who are growing up so fast right before my eyes. Courtney drove up from San luis for the holiday!
I had the chance to sing Pie Jesu from the Durufle Requiem under the direction of my old choir teacher at the church where he is music director. Such a beautiful, ethereal piece of music.
In the same performance my grandpa surprised us all by singing with the choir for the church's Good Friday service. He has a beautiful voice and it was his first time singing with a group since 1959!
We went to UCDavis to see my cousin Brianna run an amazing 3.1 mile race, followed by a delectable crepe feast.
I got to sing again on Easter morning ... A song I completely fell in love with.
We spent the afternoon with all of the family at Grandma and Grandpa's and I was reminded how lucky I am to have the absolutely incredible family I have. I can't get enough of them.
We had turkey my grandpa shot and carrot cake with yummy cream cheese frosting.
delicious!

p.s. here's the soul of the holiday...


3 comments:

Randi said...

OOooohh funny college attempts at holidays, I love it. Sounds like a great Easter! I still want to go hunting with your grandpa :)

Olivia said...

I do remember!!! It was the Easter curse!!! I always have it. This year I ended up getting the flu/a cold! WHY does Easter hate me?

Nisha Asnani said...

I bought a "hot crossed bun" for easter. just because of the song - it was quite yummy actually.

I love holidays :) especially with family.

and I love you :)