Tuesday, April 16, 2013

teddy the bold.


Phil and I have this deal. It's a shake-on-it verbal contract. On the condition that we have 6 children, the 6th child gets a special middle name of Phil's choosing. (I realize now as a wife-to-law-student-daughter-of-lawyer-surrounded-by-lawyers this might not be something I want to put into writing but my word is my bond anyhow so I am already stuck!) This middle name (the meat to the name sandwich) will not be just any name mind you. The name bestowed will be a title like a knight in very shining armor might have had in days of yore. 

Here are a few options using Jack and Jill as examples (I guess Jack the hill climber and Jill the water fetcher would make the most sense) :

Jack the brave
Jill the fair
Jack the courageous
Jill the brave
Jack the patient
Jill the kind
Jack the true
Jill the wise
Jack the virtuous 

You get the idea. I must admit that aside from being a little absurd it's also kind of....amazing. We love to think of new character traits for said titles. We also like to discuss what Theodore's title could be as he grows more and more into his own little human self. Learning more about him and about his unique spirit I have a few titles I would certainly knight him with. 

Theodore the BOLD: Theodore is one bold kid. He has a fire and a bravery about him. He walks barrel chested through life. The word bold is probably the first word I think of when I think of Theodore. I'm not sure exactly why, but it is. He just is bold.

Theodore the DETERMINED: I have seen this child return to the same door at church countless times heck-bent on escaping swiftly to head to the nursery where he knows the toys live. Each time I walk over, scoop him up, and return to our seat and our snacks and our toys. He tries again hoping I'll give up. He is so locked in focus on what he wants. Out. that. door.

Theodore the INDEPENDENT: Teddy's joy increases with every new task he can complete on his own. This is true for all children of course but there is something more to it. In hindsight it is clear to me that he was eager from a very early age to do things on his own. In infancy when other babies cuddle like warm balls of dough on their parent's chest he was already reaching, if only with his eyes, towards things he couldn't yet touch or move. I think he was frustrated that he didn't know how to use his body yet. Now that he can walk and run he is on the move like a train charging towards it's destination.

Theodore the MAN: We call him Teddy-man so this title is most appropriate. Teddy loves to dance and sing; two traits that are often thought of as artistic and sensitive. Two traits that I love about him. He has many sensitive sweet characteristics that melt his mamma's heart. Lately though he has also been showing some very macho tendencies. He has developed a new love of cars, car sounds, crashing toy cars, and pointing to cars as they drive by. Teddy also loves to wrestle and play with sticks and dig in the dirt. He likes to try on baseball hats and throw balls. He even has a "manly voice" that is low and growly and very very bossy.                     











2 comments:

Camille said...

i like the last one. he is so focused!

Randi said...

That's funny bc in pictures he looks like Theodore the sweet and Theodore the cutie man!