Thursday, March 22, 2012

a look back: dressing the pregnant part.

Warning: this post is a parenthetical mess. Everything I wrote brought on an aside (and a thought (within a thought) within a thought)... There I go again!

The other day I squeezed my ever-changing body into my tightest pair of pre-pregnancy jeans. I zipped the steely little zipper and fastened the button. HALLELUJAH. (Cue actual hallelujah chorus ringing through my mind with celestial lights beaming down from the ceiling of my apartment bathroom.) I am still a few steps away from comfortably fitting into my "old clothes" but slipping into those oh so petite joe's was such a triumph (even though I wasn't comfortable enough to wear them around yet) like a medal for every day I've put exercise on the menu and a pat on the back for not saying yes to every single dessert.

As excited as I am to see my old body return I loved being round, spherical, globe-tastic, and lovely (the transitional recovery phase... not so much). I think being pregnant is absolutely gorgeous and excluding a few days wherein I held water like a broken down ship I felt pretty dang... pretty. I really enjoyed the tummy and found dressing to be a blast. I got a lot of great feedback on my preg-outfits and a lot of gasps and surprised faces when I explained to people that I wasn't wearing "maternity clothes." So here are my tips for looking fabulous with child, even when you have that big bowl-full-of-jelly body.

1. There are only 4 real maternity items you need and you can get all of them at target: swimsuit, tank top, belly band, black leggings. The maternity tank was my favorite staple. I wore it as a shirt and paired it with every cardigan ever known to man. Since my arms weren't pregnant (until the very last week!) this was a great way to stay in my own clothes.

2. Buy now and later clothing. Right now stretchy leggings, jersey maxi dresses, and flowing tops and tees are all in so use it to your advantage. Take someone shopping with you who is relatively your original size (I took my little sis) then both try on the same item. Does it work on both the belly body and the original frame? Will it retain elasticity? Then it's a go. Why buy something you can't wear a few months later?

sweater and skirt: Anthropologie, tank: Target, bracelets: Kate Spade, gold hoops: Berkeley Street Seller,
roots: free of charge

see!

3. Belts are your best friend. They help to frame your growing curve and accentuate your new waist which now resides right under your bra line.
tie dye dress and necklace: Anthropologie, sweater: J.Crew, belt: my mom or dad's circa probably the 80's

4. Have fun with clothes. Enjoy wearing crazy patterns and colors. Your tummy may feel larger than life so why not make some flamboyant wardrobe choices? I found my pregnant body could wear things my more understated self couldn't dream of.

soooooo very pregnant in florals and polkadots
Sweater, dress, and belt: Anthropologie (On Sale ofcourse honey boo boo child!)
Shirt: Forever21, Necklace: Ella J Boutique
Swollen face and hands c/o Theodore

5. Shop your own closet. Clothes are more flexible than you might imagine. Many of my dresses became shirts as my womb bloomed.

6. Shop your husbands closet. Nothing is cuter than a baby belly in Dad's gingham button up. If your husband is as trim as mine this won't work in the third trimester... alas.

Shirt: Phil's, Sweater: J.Crew, leggings: Tara's from Anthropologie

So there are my tips. I hope what you take away from this isn't a need to shop but to shop smart and BE THRIFTY. I hope you also know that 90% of my clothes were purchased on major sale because a sucker is born every day but it doesn't have to be me! Maternity stores are absurdly expensive and the clothes are here today gone tomorrow. It's my personal theory that they take advantage of your heightened hormonal state and charge you through the nose (or through the belly button). Nine months really do fly by faster than you think so keep a maternal perspective and remember what's important: the little person growing inside of you. So look beautiful with less cash, get creative, and celebrate your new bod. Heaven knows life is about to get much more expensive!



7 comments:

Leslie M said...

Very cute, sweet, clever post!

Gwendolyn Fullmer said...

Excellent post, and one I will be taking advantage of since I'm poking out more each day, due in August. What would you suggest for the taller type in cold weather, alas life would be easier if only I were shorter.

Meg and Ryan said...

YOu are the cutest, I wish that when I was pregnant I was as cute as you!! It's so true, the only clothes that I wore repeatedly while pregnant that were actually maternity were a pair of leggings and my maternity paiges:-)

Miss Mary said...

This is such a great post! I love your style and your practical sensibilities :) I am definitelty going to remember this for myself when the baby days comes!

daniel and katie said...

love it! You are so cute!

The Cambruzzi's: Jeff, Dakota & Aria said...

This post probably should have been posted like 3 months ago...I feel like a loser because at this point, I'm just wearing what fits...I think I look mildly homeless when not in work clothes.

Jaicy M. said...

Soo proud of how tiny you are!! And love the cute ideas you truly are the cutest pregnant lovely ever. I can't wait for baby #2 :) xoxox