When I was a little freckled tot my parents would take me and my siblings to La Ultima.
La Ultima is a mexican restaurant and a Danville staple. When we were younger our family would go there almost weekly. It was our go-to dinner spot because as my parents put it, "they don't make a fuss if the kids spill all over the table." We spilled all over the table at every meal so it was a match made in heaven. Most of the appeal for Court, T, and I came in the form of a small tin side dish of red jello with whipped cream that accompanied every kids meal. The other highlights for a burgeoning foodie included pinata candy at the end of the night as well as crushed chips topping your house salad. It was a family place.
That's right I said was. (Are you shocked?! No, because you are perceptive and the title is more than a heavy foreshadow.)
It happened that Phil and I were hungry on Saturday and chose to eat at the family mexican joint. It also happened to be the restaurants last. day. I think I cried a tiny bit.
Isn't it so bittersweet when things change? It made me feel old. Growing up in a true hometown I've seen a lot of changes. Storefronts and buildings come and go, new neighborhoods pop up in what was once a no mans land of cow fields. New schools are built and daily the cycling community seems to multiply. It's not until something really comfortable and familiar is gone that you realize how much has changed. I'm married and have a few wrinkles and bills and responsibilities. When did I grow up? Have you ever said goodbye to a childhood favorite place? Have you ever experienced this "Where did all the time go" feeling? Tell me about it.
Then tell me where I'm supposed to get a nice house salad with chips on top now...
6 comments:
We had our last meal there last week, we're so sad they're closed! I got the same thing every time and I don't regret it. Poor Danville without La Ultima New Mexican Cuisine.
Pobre Danville! I ate countless quesadillas and bean and cheese burritos there during my picky years. I can't wait to get back to Danville and freak out when my home town has "matured" along with the rest of us.
So sad they're closed! I loved getting candy out of that pinata at the end. At least you were able to go one last time before they closed.
I remember that jello and whipped cream! Awww, sad to hear it is gone! I know what you mean with things changing--everytime I go back, I am amazed at how many new neighborhoods there are. And growing up is totally bittersweet. I also have some wrinkles now :) When did we get so old??
I saw your title on Nor's blog and had to pop in. Our family go-to place in Danville was always El Nido. Same thing . . .we would go there weekly and they didn't fuss when my little sister or the grandkids spilled stuff everywhere. Definitely a kid-family restaurant. I still wish someone in my family still lived in Danville so we had an excuse to return to El Nido. I dream of their homemade ranch dressing and the chicken fajita tacos.
Though I have never been to this place but I seem to plan a vacation here. Thanks for the information it was helpful in my planning.
Post a Comment