Thursday, March 11, 2010

bad to the bone.


this is Phil's left hand

Philip had a big day. He had surgery on his most precious of ten fingers, the ring one. He broke it playing basketball a few weeks ago. A chip of the bone just snapped right off. It started to bend like a column that had lost its foundation and apparently that can lead to joint grinding and arthritis and a whole gift basket of fingerly door prizes, SO today they cut him open, added some dainty metal screws, and sewed him up. He was out for a few hours, and when he came to he had a lot to say (on medication)...

"I've been thinking about how good my eyesight is, like I can zoom in on things that are far away."

P:"After I came-to I was playing with that machine, I'd hold my breath until it got down to like 40"
A:"Phil you shouldn't do that! What if it started beeping and all the nurses ran in?!"
P:"I'd be like 'I'm like Kris Angel [magician], and by the way have you been looking for these?!'" 
(He then proceeded to mime pulling a nurse's car keys out from under his blanket.)

"What is all of this iodine on my arm? D'you know what I look like? One of those gatorade people from the commercials who sweats colors."

"Anesthesia is AMAZING. They put something in my IV and I was GONE."

"Who doodled on me?!"

"I really like this bank of america shirt. Pretty much everyone I've met who works there is nice."




Shortly after he gave me the 411, he requested a Philly Cheese Steak for lunch (Barf Barf Barf). I talked him down to In-N-Out since the cheese steaks he likes already look like vomit on the way down and we're pretty sure his meds will give him the woosies. 

We drove through, picked up his drugs, and headed home.

For the next few days he'll probably be hurting quite a bit, so if you feel like adding him to your thoughts and prayers, we'd love that. We'll be here watching rental movies and doing pretty much whatever Phil wants. I plan on spoiling him to a T.

He's asleep now, bandaged like a hand-mummy, and very very tired. He was brave, he didn't complain, he was genteel to all nurses, he was calm, and he actually made it fun (maybe that was the drugs?). He was extra darling to his wife which I know was an effort since most men just want to scowl at everything when they're in pain. He handled every minute like a champion, and he even let me take pictures! What a good hub.

 



9 comments:

Terri OConnor said...

Glad all is well. I know Aubrey will take good care of you!

Paige said...

That looks terrible. Impressive xray though with the pins. I'm glad they had his blood pressure cuff monogrammed. I feel so sorry for little Philly. Keep him on the meds for a good time.

Randi said...

Poor guy. It looks like he go a finger tattoo which makes him look way more rebellious. He should get a ring tattoo because I bet he can't wear is wedding ring.

Brittany said...

Drugs can make you say pretty funny things! I remember when I had surgery and Phil and a few friends came to the hospital to visit. There was limited seating in the room so I invited everyone to sit on the bed with me. Phil was the only one who took the bate. About 30 seconds later I started saying, "everything feels crooked. WHY IS EVERYTHING SO CROOKED!" I was quite bossy on drugs. Phil stood up and said, "is that better?" I replied, "yes". I don't remember any of this but apparently it was quite funny.

Get better soon Phil.

Miss Courtney Lynn said...

I'm glad you got the funny comments in writing so that you can remind (tease) him later! so happy it all went well love you!!!

Claire said...

Cool screws! Now he can match Nate! Did you photoshop his yellow arm because if so, can you do me? I would like to be rainbow, please.

Natalie said...

That is too funny! Glad he's doing better. Have fun being a nurse to him, he's in good hands.

ashley said...

Poor Phil :( Hope he feels better soon and that you have fun playing nurse!

p.s. I was about to write the exact same story from Brittany's surgery; it still makes me crack up!

Val said...

He let them give him a shot? Did he scream and cry? Did he run and hide? If not he has grown a lot in the past year...