Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Rainbow Connection.

My highlight was when the man in charge said, "feel free to walk the grounds, pet our llamas, and admire our peacocks." At that moment I knew...
 I would dig it.

Let me preface this post with a confession: I think deep down in my bones I am quite a free spirit, or in other less generous words, somewhere inside of me lives a big love child hippy lady.

With that confession in mind you can imagine how The Krishna Temple in Spanish Fork Utah made my dreams come to life this weekend with one enormous raucous color smashing adventure.

It was Holi and for Holi you celebrate. How you ask? Simply stated: you celebrate by smashing colors into the faces, ears, nostrils, bums, feet, hands, arms, bellies, and hair of those you love and those you don't know but love because "hey, they let you rub rainbow on their forehead."

It was saturday and PG, the Cambruzzi's, Scotty B, and friends headed out the farm road to the temple on the hill. We divided our color packets in anticipation of the high-noon-throwery. We sprawled out on the green (greenISH come on it is Utah snark snark) grass under some rare and early springtime sun. We wandered around and got caught up in a conga line, we tried to coax some llamas into friendship, we sang songs and watched the crowds gather. There was some excellent woodstockian dancing going on. Soon we were stacked like anchovies. 

By the end of the morning hours everyone was getting itchy to throw colors. There was some discreet and not so discreet pre-blast-off tossing. Two little boys decided PG made an excellent target (they usually do that. how on earth do they find him?!) and started smearing colors on his face and down his shoes. Dakota had yellow and pink freckles all over her sunglasses. Jeff and Scott were rascals.

Just when we thought we couldn't stand it one more second the countdown began. Madness and mayhem erupted. I can't begin to do justice to what happened in that first "throw second." A red-pink- yellow-green-blue storm exploded over our heads. 
Screaming and laughing and gasping for air we wiggled around in a rainbow cloud. There was no sky in sight. There was crowd surfing galore. We had fallen onto a Beatles cover. With thousands of people there on the hill I can almost promise you that no one was frowning (perhaps those with asthma weren't too keen).

We threw and threw and laughed and danced. I was 100% child. Everyone was in the best of spirits because we had just shared this big, special, bright experience. I gave someone a free hug. I spit brown. Everything in my nose was magenta. Life was pretty much perfect in that moment.

Our color-crew washed the whole experience down with a lunch-run that included an obscenely embarrassing number of steak fries. We couldn't stop talking about the wonderful-ness of Holi. We still can't. I think I still have pink in my ears. I guess I just can't let go of the memories... or shower?

PS. Cool Photography of the place and the day HERE.

 Party in the USA?!
Our Posse 
Camille went with her friends too! She's the cute blonde third from the left.

3 comments:

Miss Mary said...

Wow, this sounds like so much fun! What an awesome event!

Camille said...

yes! i made the blog!

Terri OConnor said...

A big time. You beautiful kids even look great in body tie dye!