
Everything is big in 2009. Big changes, big stars biting the big one, and big hair on the rise. I've been lucky to ride the wave of super straight tresses for quite some time but now it seems the thicker, the wavier, the bigger, the better. The style pendulum has swung once again and its back to volume the world hasn't seen in two decades. For those of us with fine and wispy locks this is a challenge. Good thing I like challenges. So after dragging my feet past the full follicle likes of Amy Winehouse and the teased up tresses of every recent shampoo commercial, I went down to the local beauty supply and got myself a big bad beautiful barreled brush. That's where the real story begins.
After purchasing my own wonderful brush I was excited and started practicing volumizing tricks on my own. On one such occasion a few weeks ago I thought I was really getting the hang of it. I was twirling and curling and making my roots all fluffy and sassified. It was only as I was rounding off the back that I sensed a certain something... in my nose. Just a little burning smell, " I must've overheated the blow dryer," I thought.
I brushed it off (literally and figuratively) and headed over to the mall to get some mascara and other cosmetic goodies. I was walking through Sephora (my personal candy store) with my little black basket... I was looking at lipsticks for the wedding.... I brushed my fingers through my full and voluptuous waves and something fell on the floor.
Something very, very, unsavory. A long auburn swatch... of. my. OWN. HAIR. I guess my blow-out had burned the roots of this big lock and out it fell like a cheap hair extension.
I almost fainted. In Sephora.
I broke into a sweat. I was so in shock I didn't think it was my own curl for a good minute or two. Time stopped. Then I shoved it in a mini black trash can like it was the tell-tale heart under the floor boards. So ashamed.
I went home and PG laughed his head off while he searched mine for the petite bald spot I had created. I smelled like burning for two days...even after a ginger shampooing.
Approach big hair with caution...I'm now experimenting with hot rollers.
6 comments:
VELCRO ROLLERS MY FRIEND. The bigger the better. Brush each DRY section before you roll them around the velcro roller. Blast each roller (obvi not too close) for 30-60 sections and once you've done your whole head, GENTLY unroll them, and presto! you have volume :)
Once you learn can you teach me? I have volume issues as well. I'm going to blog about them, you've inspired me.
I've noticed a bit of teasing and I applaud it. Soon you'll be a "bump-it" superstar teaching those hair school girls in provo a thing or two. minus the extension dilemma which is still HILARIOUS. You'd get more sympathy if your stories weren't so funny. I really want to try to roller thing avec tu.
This happened before your wedding?! I would have died...good thing you couldn't tell at all. Randi is right, you would get a lot more sympathy if the story wasn't so darn funny.
Bob that is so crazy!! You should rub that part of ur head lots to increase the growing...but not before i get a good look at the spot ;)
Bhahaa that is so funny, and not so funny. But velcro rollers are amazing:-)
Post a Comment